adrIntheSky

The Good Times Are Killing Me

I'm a nerdy girl with too much time on her hands, and too many books on her to-read pile.

Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm
Wilhelm Grimm, Jacob Grimm, Lucy Crane, Walter Crane
2666
Natasha Wimmer, Roberto Bolaño

The Doll's House: 2 (The Sandman)

The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House - Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman, Malcolm Jones III, Steve Parkhouse, Todd Klein, Chris Bachalo, Mike Dringenberg, Michael Zulli This is a graphic novel that has all the potential to make me obsessed with it. It has everything: an engaging plot, interesting characters, great art, and a story that transcends the boundaries of paper. Of course, it could all go downhill from here, but from what little I know about the rest of the series, by the time I’m done with the last volume I’ll probably be tattooing some Sandman character in my back. But anyway, let’s get on with the review:“The Doll’s House” takes Dream’s story to a whole new level, giving us a hint of his past, and of the different ways he was transformed after his imprisonment. This is especially true in the two independent stories presented in this volume, “Tales in the Sand” and “Men of Good Fortune”, which present two different sides of Morpheus: The unforgiving and arrogant immortal (reminiscent of ancient greek god tales), and the lonely being that unconsciously tries to create a connection with the humans he owns and serves . The central story in this volume, unrelated to the titles I talked about before, revolves around two plots: In the first one, Morpheus is told that during his absence four of his dreams disappeared, and he takes it upon himself to find them and bring them back to where they belong. The second part involves two of Dream’s sisters: Desire and Despair, and the apparition of a vortex, which could potentially destroy the dream world beyond repair. The resolution of these problems introduces a bunch of interesting characters, like Corinthian, one of the dreams that escaped while Morpheus was held captive. He is also the protagonist of my favorite Sandman story so far, “Collectors”, which depicts a serial killer convention in all its creepy glory. The Corinthian in particular has a “penchant for eyes” in the most literal sense of the expression. Beyond this wonderful show of imagination (and the amazing art), though, what shines in “The Doll’s House” is the solid story behind it. Nothing feels careless or random, or looks like it has been placed there because nobody knew what to do with it. Instead, I felt like I was peeling the first layers of a story that goes deeper than what I first thought. It’s an exciting prospect, especially because it has already given me so much to think about. Oh! And here are some of my favorite quotes: “For love is no part of the Dream-world. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel”.“- Say, whoever you are. Do you know what Freud said about dreams of flying? It means you're really dreaming about having sex. - Indeed? Tell me, then, what does it mean when you dream about having sex? “… It means the world's about as solid and as reliable as a layer of scum on the top of a well of black water which goes down forever, and there are things in the depths that I don't even want to think about. It means more than that. It means that we're just dolls. We don't have a clue what's really going down, we just kid ourselves that we're in control of our lives while a paper's thickness away things that would drive us mad if we thought about them for too long play with us, and move us around from room to room, and put us away at night when they're tired, or bored.”