adrIntheSky

The Good Times Are Killing Me

I'm a nerdy girl with too much time on her hands, and too many books on her to-read pile.

Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm
Wilhelm Grimm, Jacob Grimm, Lucy Crane, Walter Crane
2666
Natasha Wimmer, Roberto Bolaño

Kafka on the Shore

Kafka on the Shore - Philip Gabriel, Haruki Murakami I could tell you what this book is about (a 15 year old kid running away from home, and an old man, who can talk to cats, fulfilling his destiny) but, for the life of me, I can't tell you what it's REALLY about. The whole thing feels like a dream: it makes sense while you're in it, but 5 minutes after waking up you realize that the meaning got lost in the process. It is, also, beautifully written, and it makes me wish I knew japanese. The language (simple, straightforward) manages to tell you that there is more here than what meets the eye, but it doesn't sound arrogant or condescending. Other reviewers felt that the characters were preachy, or unlikeable, but I found them engaging. I enjoyed Oshima's dissertations, and Hoshino's discovery of music, and Nakana's chats with cats and supernatural beings. In the end, I found myself sorry to leave them, and intrigued for Murakami's other works.The only aspect of the book that I didn't care much for, and that prevents me from giving it 5 stars, is the scene with Johnnie Walker and the cats. It was shocking, unexpected, and for a cat lover like me, too hard to get through. I had no problem with the sex bits, but this little display of animal cruelty annoyed me to no end.